Our first Equine-Assisted learning materials are now available!
Watch our free webinar addressing involving Brumbies in Animal Assisted Therapies - access below.
Our first ever equine therapy training workshop for clinicians is now available!
More options are on their way!
Therapy Dogs Australia founder & owner Samantha King B.Psych.Sc.(hons) after many requests has finally agreed to share her insights on working with horses in the therapy space!
Sam is a Psychologist and has been working alongside her horses in therapy for four years, primarily with young people on the Autism spectrum. Sam's passion for horses has grown over recent years when she learned about the plight of brumbies (wild-living horses) in Australia. Attending several training camps and with now four diverse brumbies in her personal herd (of 7 horses), Sam is passionate about sharing her experiences of giving these horses a second chance at life. Brumbies can make fantastic animal assisted therapy horses, with the right training and understanding about transitioning from wild-living to domestication.
Sam has identified a gap in the trainings available for experienced professionals working in the animal assisted therapy space under evidence-based therapeutic frameworks. Her passion is to assist health professionals to integrate their horses in to goal-directed Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy interventions, compliant with AHPRA and Medicare standards.
Equine assisted therapy training options will be available in 2023 - both online and face to face, email us now to register your interest.
An introduction to Equine Assisted Therapy for allied health and disability support professionals.
Friday 21st July - Sunday 23rd July 2023
Friday 1st September - Sunday 3rd September 2023
A 3 day workshop held in Upper Caboolture (QLD)
- Introduction to Equine-assisted therapy generally
- Work hands on with brumbies that have been trained specifically for equine assisted therapy, learn or further develop your horse handling skills.
- Learn how horse welfare and husbandry is related to equine assisted therapy.
- Learn equine assisted interventions, using evidence based modalities.
Camping and accommodation options available.
For more information, head to our sister website www.wildathearthorses.com.au
FREE webinar AVAILABLE NOW
Introducing Wild-Caught domesticated horses (Brumbies) to domestic life. Considerations for managing the big transition for all wild caught horses, with special attention to those which are being re-trained for animal assisted therapy careers.
This webinar consolidates and summarises Samantha King's (Psychologist, canine & equine assisted) submission to the Animal Assisted Advisory Board, responsible for the annual review and changes to the Animal Therapies Ltd. Code of Conduct.
This submission presentation covers topics:
- What is the ATL's stance on involving wild-caught domesticated horses in to AAT settings
- The plight of wild horses (brumbies) in Australia
- A case example of four brumbies who are currently working in AAT
- Ethically transitioning brumbies from wild living to domestication, while maintaining respect for their wild living heritage. Training implications and considerations.
- Addressing the boards concerns
- Review of relevant literature around ethical keeping and training of horses, and their involvement in AAT
- Summary of future directions
- Video examples of brumbies in training, from the start of the process through to brumbies living happily in domestication.
This webinar (2hrs) will be interesting to anyone who has an interest in learning more about The Australian Brumby and the processes involved in ensuring these beautiful horses get the best chance at living a happy and healthy life.
Access is via a link on the below PDF.